The number of students in petroleum-related topics at universities in Norway has dramatically declined and the supply of people with subsurface competence is approaching a critical low level.
The diversification in the energy sector requires skilled professionals with subsurface competences, knowledge in the multiple energy sources, storage options, digitalization and an understanding of the NCS. However, the number of students in energy related topics at the universities in Norway has dramatically declined and the supply of people with subsurface competence is approaching a critical low level. There is a negative perception of energy-related studies because an unstable job market and this sector is not considered environmentally friendly. To address these challenges, the specific targets of WP7 are:
- Attract the next generation of scientists and skilled professionals for the energy transition.
- Educate new professionals in the future energy competences and collaboration with industry partners.
- Disseminate the NCS2030 results.
The plan for the first year is to hire PhD and postdocs within the research areas of the NCS2030 and to participate in student recruiting activities focusing on bachelor students. Master and bachelor students will be involved in the centre through theses and as research assistants. We will use the digital media to disseminate the results of the centre among the scientific community, industry and society (as popular science). We will expand our research activities collaborating with other externally funded associate projects such as SUBSET, Intpart, and other PhD’s projects.
Expected outcome 2023
- Recruited PhD’s and postdocs: 9
- Participation in open days, Geologiens dag, ONS, etc.
- Posts in digital media or newspapers (e.g. newspapers, social media): 20
- Posts in social media (e.g. Linkedin, NCS2030 webpage): 20
- Industry co-mentoring theses (Master and PhD): 2
- Open-access, high-impact publications, including publications with industry: 5
- Conference presentations: 20
- Webinars: Monthly
- Energy Norway Conference: Annually
- Technical workshops: 10
- Industry visits, lunch and learn: 2
Department of Energy Resources