Contingency Analysis and Planning (SAM520)
Public and private enterprises are enforced to establish sufficient contingency systems related to the challenges identified in own activities and systems. The major goal With the subject is to enable the students to analyse and plan a contingency which prepare people and organisations to manage accidents, crises and other unwanted events from requirements developed by themselves and external parties.
Course description for study year 2022-2023
Semester tution start
Number of semesters
Language of instruction
The starting point for establishing contingency is to reveal formal requirements, to carry out risk analyses, prevention and contingency analyses. The student shall be able to Express and argue for the risk image and through this define various dimensioning events. In this process they will also identify and evaluate performance requirements to the emergency preparedness system. To design, establish and manage prevention and contingency put challenges upon organisations. The subject will discuss these challenges and address objectives with the prevention and contingency system, regulations regarding contingency work, analyses as basis for the contingency work, actors and roles in the emergency work, contingency processes and contingency planning.
Recognized pronciples and methods to analyse the prevention and contingency needs for enterprises/areas and development of contingency plans that will ensure a good emergency preparednes will be discussed. Systematic knowledge on how to develop contingencies in organisations is scarce. The subject will discuss challenges between the development related to regulatory requirements, supervision, internal requirements and various assumptions for the contingency system. Emphasis is placed on the interactions between risk analyses, performance analyses against dimensioning requirements to the prevention and emergency preparedness in various enterprises. The students comprehension of various aspects of the performance of the contingency system is emphasised.
The students will acquire:
General knowledge regarding:
- Foundational concepts in prevention, contingency and contingency planning
- Foundational characteristics and development of performance analyses, prevention and contingency analyses and contingency plans
- Responsibilities, planning process and experience with designing, establishing and managing emergency preparedness.
- Participants in the emergency management system, public and private
Improve skills and capabilities in:
- Establishing prevention and contingencies from contingency planning
- Assess the quality of the contingency planning process and the contingency plans
Develop competence in:
- Organisational structures and interrelations that influence the contingency performance in the organisation, and how these conditions create prerequisites for the cintingency performance
Required prerequisite knowledge
|Form of assessment||Weight||Duration||Marks||Aid|
|Take home exam, individual work||1/1||3 Days||Letter grades|
Individual home exam over three days upon a give topic