Student Visa for the USA

Everyone going on exchange to the USA must have a visa. You should familiarize yourself with the application process as soon as you know where you are going.

Published Updated on

If you are going on an exchange to the USA you must apply for a student visa. You apply for a visa trough the US embassy in Oslo.

You can apply for a visa only when you have been offered admission at the the host institution, but we recommend that you familiarize yourself with the application process as soon as possible.

It is important that you check for updated information on official websites and know the visa requirements for your citizenship.

Utveksling_kart USA

General information about visa applications

If you are are offered admission at an American institution they will provide you with documents you must attach to your application. The American institutions usually facilitates for students to use visa type F-1 or J-1 and provide you with the form I-20 or DS-2019, depending on the visa type.

Read more about how to apply for a visa and the documents needed on the official US government website for information about visa applications. On the same website you will find a guide to the application process and a link to the application form (DS-160).

When you have recieved I-20 or DS-2019 from the host institution you must pay a SEVIS-fee before you can apply for a visa. You cannot do an interview before paying this fee. You can find information about costs for the different visa types at step 3 in the guide.

Direct link to payment of SEVIS-fee.

All applicants must do an in-person interview at the US Embassy in Oslo. Be aware of the fact that the whole process at the embassy can last for about two hours. The interview usually takes about 15 minutes. If you are late for your appointment and/or fail to provide all necessary documents, the embassy may ask you to re-apply. Keep in mind that your passport must be valid for at least 6 months after your return to Norway and that it will take approximately 3 weeks before your passport is returned after the interview (can be subject to change).

Also be aware of the fact that J-1 entails a two year quarantine for applying for a permanent work or stay permit in the USA. This quarantine only applies to students receiving public funding, for example from LĂ„nekassen.