All students admitted to degree studies or exchange programmes at the University of Stavanger can apply for student housing through SiS Housing.
General information for international students
- International students admitted to UiS will be given a housing application code. You should use the given code in your housing application.
- Due to the precarious housing situation in Stavanger, UiS does not guarantee accommodation for all international students.
- You will receive only one housing offer and if you reject it, you have to make your own arrangements.
- Contracts cover usually one or two full semesters, and full semesters only (five months*).
- There are no family apartments available for international students with children. Only single room apartments are available for international students.
- International students cannot change their room with another person in the dorms, nor change dorms without the approval of SiS Housing.
- It is not possible to terminate the contract with SiS Housing during the first 5 months of the contract.
- The Admission Office and the International Office are not responsible for accommodation-related matters.
* Exception: Minimum rental period of three months may be given to students following approved academic internship programmes (nursing and social work) if such accommodation is available in UiS Housing.
Studentsamskipnaden i Stavanger (SiS) owns 1564 student accommodations in Stavanger. You can find more information about their locations and prices on SiS website. The housing application deadline is 15 April. For any inquiries regarding SiS accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The rental price is NOK 3 200–5 300 per month per person.
The rooms are modestly furnished with a bed, desk, and closet. However, no dishes, cooking utensils, duvet, pillow or towels are available in the accommodations. You have to bring your own or purchase the items upon arrival.
Electricity and broadband internet connection are included. You may need to buy your own Wi-Fi router.
Due to the difficult housing situation in Stavanger UiS cannot guarantee accommodation for all international students. Therefore, some students will have to find housing on the private market.
UiS also owns some houses subletted to students. However, the number of those accommodation is extremely limited and generally more expensive than SiS Housing.
How to get there
Kolumbus - our local bus company
The easiest and cheapest way to get from your point of entry to your accomodation is with public transport. Further information on timetables and tickets. You can also download the apps: Kolumbus billett (to buy tickets) and Kolombus reise (to find your timetable).
You have several different taxi companies operating from the airport and other parts of Stavanger. Please note that taxis are expensive in Norway and public transport is always a much cheaper alternative.