Fundamental Chemistry (KJE101)
Fundamental chemistry is a general chemistry course for engineering students.
Course description for study year 2022-2023
Semester tution start
Number of semesters
Language of instruction
Chemistry: The structure of the atom. Chemical bonds. Intermolecular interactions. The Naming of compounds, use of the mole concept in solids, solutions and the gas phase, reaction equations, equilibrium, acids and bases, reduction/oxidation, water-solubility of compounds, electrochemistry, and organic chemistry.
After completing the course students should be able to:
- name inorganic and organic compounds.
- have a basic knowledge of organic chemistry including naming simple compounds.
- understand and be able to use the concept of moles in reactions, solutions, gas phase etc.
- have understood the principles of equilibria.
- have a basic knowledge of acid and bases, the water-solubility of compounds, redox reactions and electrochemistry.
- have awareness of environmental challenges relating to chemistry.
Required prerequisite knowledge
|Form of assessment||Weight||Duration||Marks||Aid|
|Written exam||1/1||3 Hours||Letter grades||Calculator , Cappelen, Dalen et. al.: Compendium of tables and formulae,|
Course coordinator:Emil Anders Lindbäck
Head of Department:Ingunn Westvik Jolma
Method of work
Lectures (2hrs / week), Exercises (2hrs/wk)
|Chemistry for data/electro (RED101_1)||5|
In accordance with the Faculty's routines for student evaluation and quality assurance.