As a general requirement, applicants to International Master's Programmes must document proficiency in English at an advanced level through an international test/exam, recognized by the University of Stavanger.
Accepted English Proficiency Tests
English tests must be no more than two years old at the time of application. The Cambridge English Qualifications is the only exception, for which there is no expiry date.
- UiS accepts the TOEFL iBT, including the Home Edition and Paper Edition
- A minimum score of 90 with a writing section minimum score of 22
- Institution code: 8467
- NB! UiS does NOT accept MyBest Scores.
- NB! UiS does NOT accept the TOEFL Essentials nor TOEFL ITP tests
For more information about ETS TOEFL, please click here.
- A minimum overall band score of 6.5 with a writing section minimum score of 6.0
- NB! UiS does not accept IELTS General nor IELTS Indicator
For more information about IELTS Academic, please click here.
- UiS accepts the PTE Academic Online
- A minimum overall score of 62 with a writing section minimum score of 53
For more information about PTE Academic, please click here.
Exemptions from English Proficiency Requirements
- Applicants who have completed at least one year of high school or university studies in Australia, Canada, Ireland, UK, USA or New Zealand. The place of instruction must have been in one of these countries and the language of instruction must have been English.
- Applicants who have completed a Bachelor's or Master's degree with English as the language of instruction in Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, or Sweden.
- Applicants who have completed and passed English courses (140 hours per year / 5 hours per week) at the Norwegian upper secondary school, with a minimum grade of 4.
- Applicants who have English as "language 1" or "language 2" on European Baccalaureate Diploma (EB).
- Applicants who have completed the International Baccalaureate Diploma/Certificate (IB)
Please refer to the country list for detailed information on whether you qualify for an exemption.
- Cameroon (English-speaking region)
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- The Netherlands
- The Philippines
- The United Kingdom
- The United States of America
Submitting English Language Tests
- Non-EU/EEA applicants: 1 December 2022
- EU applicants: 1 March 2023
Late submission of the English Proficiency Test Results (Non-EU/EEA Applicants)
If you cannot upload your English test results by the application deadline (1 December), you can get an extension to submit your English test results by following the instructions below:
Upload a copy of your test registration receipt with ETS TOEFL/IELTS Academic/PTE Academic/Cambridge English Qualifications as a PDF to your online application within the application deadline.
The deadline to submit the English test registration receipt to your application is 1 December 2022
As soon as you receive your English test result, submit them by email to firstname.lastname@example.org You can attach your English test result as a PDF and include your application number and the study programme you applied for in the email.
The deadline to submit your late English test results by email is 1 February 2023
Prospective students can reach out to the International Admissions team with queries related to the admission process. We do not offer individual assessments on your admission eligibility before applying. We encourage you to apply if you believe yourself to be eligible according to the admission requirements outlined. Please provide your application number if possible when contacting us.
+47 5183 1235