As a general requirement, applicants to International Master's Programmes must document proficiency in English on an advanced level through an international test/exam, recognized by the University of Stavanger.
Accepted English proficiency tests
English tests must be no more than two years old at the time of application. The exception is the Cambridge English Qualification, for which there is no expiry date.
- UiS accepts the TOEFL iBT, including the Home Edition and Paper Edition.
- Minimum score of 90 with writing section minimum score of 22
- Institution code: 8467
- NB! UiS does NOT accept MyBest Scores.
- NB! UiS does NOT accept the TOEFL Essentials nor TOEFL ITP tests.
- More information about ETS TOEFL
- Minimum overall band score of 6.5 with writing section minimum score of 6.0
- NB! UiS does not accept IELTS General nor IELTS Indicator.
- More information about IELTS Academic
- UiS accepts the PTE Academic Online.
- Minimum overall score of 62 with writing section minimum score of 53.
- More information about PTE Academic
Exemptions from the test
Certain applicants are exempted from English test based on the upper secondary school/university education in their home country. Check the Country List for more information.
- Applicants who have completed at least one-year studies at high school or university in Australia, Canada, Ireland, UK, USA or New Zealand. The place of instruction must have been in one of these countries and the language of instruction must have been English.
- Applicants who have completed a Bachelor's or Master's degree with English as the language of instruction in Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, or Sweden.
- Applicants who have completed and passed English course (140 hours per year / 5 hours per week) at the Norwegian upper secondary school, with a minimum grade of 4.
- Applicants who have English as "language 1" or "language 2" on European Baccalaureate Diploma (EB).
- Applicants who have completed International Baccalaureate Diploma/Certificate (IB)
Late submission of English test results
The English language requirements presented above are approved by the Education Committee in 2020.