The library offers classes that helps you with academic writing and reference management. We offer open classes for students and staff at UiS. Lecturers at UiS can request classes from the library for a student group.
Workshop for TekNat students (EN): Find good sources for your thesis
Webinar: Workshop for TekNat students: find good sources for your thesis
Get help with EndNote
Academic Writing for Students Writing in English
Classes we offer
EndNote or Zotero?
Learn about the differences, and what will suit your needs.
EndNote and Zotero are reference management tools. These tools are good for organizing literature for your studies or research. You build up a reference library by importing literature from e.g. databases. From the library you can insert references into a text document like Word. EndNote and Zotero help you format citations and the bibliography. There are numerous tool like EndNote and Zotero that can be used. Some of them require a subscription fee and and others are free. As a student or employee at UiS, you will get access to EndNote. Zotero is free to download.
The University Library offers introduction courses to both programs. We recommend to attend these if you want to get started using one of the programs. You can find information about the library courses here.
We have also developed help pages in Canvas, to both EndNote and Zotero.
Which program should you choose?
There is not a definitive answer to this. Overall, the programs have the same functions. However, there are still some differences and some functionalities that is good to be aware of. Sometimes one program is more suited than the other.
- Both programs are compatible with PC and Mac.
- Zotero is known to be slightly easlier to use, while EndNote has some advanced functions that Zotero does not have.
- Will you write an assignment/thesis together with a fellow student? For this, Zotero is most optimal.
- Are you going to write together with your supervisor or collaboratoris outside UiS? Figure out which program he/she/they are using and use the same as them.
- If you work on different devices, Zotero is easier to synchronize.
- Are you starting on systematic searches? Then we recommend EndNote.
- Do you need to make changes or customize a reference style? This is easier to do in EndNote.
- Zotero has a Connector placed in the browser. The Connector allows you to import many types of sources directly from the browser. In EndNote, you more often need to add different types of sources manually.
- Are you writing in LaTeX? As a student or employee at the Faculty of Science and Technology, you automatically get access to the premium version of Overleaf. Then you have the possibility to automatically synchronize your Zotero library with Overleaf.
- You can store full-text articles (PDF-files) in your library. As a student or employee at UiS and an EndNote user, you have unlimited storage capacity. Zotero offers free storage up to 300MB. If you need more than that you must pay a small amount annually.
Not sure yet about which program to choose? Discuss with your supervisor/teacher, or simply just test out one of the programs. You always have the possibility to switch to the other afterwards by exporting the library from Zotero to EndNote or vice versa.