If your home institution has an agreement with the UiS, you are welcome to apply as an exchange or internship student. Without a bilateral agreement in place, we cannot accept your application.
For students doing practice placement: Nursing, Midwifery, Paramedic and Social Work.
For studies commencing in the autumn semester (August- December).
For students doing practice placement: Nursing, Midwifery, Paramedic and Social Work.
for studies commencing in the spring semester (January-June).
This application process is for all faculties with the exception of the Faculty of Performing Arts.
Before you can start to apply for an exchange to University of Stavanger, you need to be nominated by your home institution. Please contact your International Office at your home institution for their internal deadlines to apply for an exchange.
When you have been nominated, you will receive an email from the University of Stavanger that you now have been nominated. You need to have received this e-mail before going to step 2.
If you are unsure whether your university has an agreement with UiS, please check with your home coordinator or send us an email.
The online nomination service will open in the beginning of March for autumn semester and beginning of September for spring semester.
(Music and Dance students have their own system that they first apply to. Some music and dance students may be asked to register again in this system. This will be informed by your coordinator at the Faculty of Performing Arts.)
When you receive an e-mail that you are nominated, then you can start applying.
Watch our application video above before starting to apply.
First you go to 'Søknadsweb' and click on 'Login International Application'.
Do not create a new account in 'Søknadsweb'. When you were nominated, an account was automatic created for you and you only need to request a new password to get access to your application.
It is possible to log in and out of the application system multiple times and make changes up until the deadline.
If you have not received the nomination e-mail and you are sure you have been nominated in our online system, please write to us at email@example.com. You may at any time request a new password from our system.
Personal information: If the information filled in by your home university is incorrect (name, nationality or date of birth) please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Home address: It is important that you fill in your complete home address. Include the following:
- Street number and name
- Postal code and postal area (city)
Please do not use a P.O. Box address or your university address.
- Please be aware that Bachelor students cannot attend Master courses
- We recommend all students to choose 30 ECTS per semester. (The minimum we allow students to choose per semester i 20 ECTS, with the exception of practice placement students, and maximum 40 ECTS. Please be aware that if you have a citenzenship that requires a student visa in Norway, then you need to be a fulltime student. Meaning that you have to choose courses equal to at least 30 ECTS).
- You have until the 1st of September (Autumn semester) and 1st of February (Spring semester) to add new courses
- If the course from our website does not show up in the drop-down menu, please write the course under "Extra information"
- If you are planing on taking only 20 ECTS, please write this in the "Extra information" so that we can start assessing your application. If not, then we will wait until after the deadline to assess your application.
- If you have B2 or better in a Scandinavian language, then you are qualified to take courses in Norwegian. Please e-mail us if you are interested in taking courses in Norwegian as this is not published on our website.
In the lists below is what all students need to upload and what are extra documents depending on which courses or internship you wish to take at the University of Stavanger.
1. Transcript of Record / Diploma
Upload all university transcripts/diploma (both bachelor’s and if applicable, master’s level) in English or in a Scandinavian language. Do not upload documents in other languages as this will delay the process.
The transcript/diploma must contain a description of the grading system. Master's students must upload their Bachelor's diploma or other proof that they have finished their Bachelor's Degree.
We only accept official copies. Offical copies are with a signature and/or a stamp from your home institution.
The required documentation must be uploaded to 'SøknadsWeb' in a PDF format. Please write your name on the document uploaded.
Example: ToR John Smith
2. Copy of your passport or ID card
The required documentation must be uploaded to 'SøknadsWeb' in a PDF or JPEG format. Please write your name on the document uploaded.
Example: ID John Smith
Drama / Comparative Education / Outdoor Education / English Didactics in Teacher Education students must also upload the following documents before arrival:
We do accept that you upload this document after the deadline, as long as we receive it before arrival. Please write in the extra information that you are in the process of getting this document.
Social work students also need to upload the following documents:
- Motivation letter
- Which practicum you wish to take, earlier experiences and (yes/no) if you have a driver license.
Depending on which placement you receive, you might need to provide a negative tuberculosis test and MRSA test before arrival. You will be contacted if this is needed.
All clinical placement students must also upload the following documents before arrival:
- A negative MRSA test
- A negative tuberculosis test if you live in or have been in a country with a high TB incidence for more than three months the last three years or have otherwise been exposed to infection.
- Dates and which placement: From when until when do you plan to have your placement. And which type of placement do your home university require that you take. (Write this in the "Extra information" field in the application or upload a word document with this information.)
UiS is obliged to ensure that the student’s lung X-rays do not show active lung TB prior to starting work with patients. For more details concerning screening and updated list of countries with incidence of tuberculosis, please check the following webpage of Norwegian Institute of Public Health.
We do accept that you upload the first two documents after the deadline, as long as we receive them before arrival. In this case, please let us know in the "Extra information" that you are in the process of getting the test(s).
Documentation of funds
- You do NOT need to transfer money to a Norwegian bank account in order to document financing.
- You must present other means of documentation; for instance, documentation of student loan or scholarship or a bank statement from your home country. Please upload this document in Søknadsweb when applying.
- NORPLUS students that are receiving a scholarship do not need to upload documentation to prove sufficent funds.
- Please check if your Letter of Admission provides a confirmation from UiS that you have sufficient financial means to cover your period of studies in Norway before applying for your study permit (visa).
The first time you go through the application system, you will get a confirmation e-mail (titled "Application is changed") after clicking "next" on the document page.
The next time you enter to edit the application, the document page will not show up. If you wish to upload documents, then you need to click on the menu button "My documents". Here you may upload documents that will show up in your application.
When you have uploaded all the necessary documents and chosen courses, then the International Office will start assessing your application.
Please do not upload your Learning Agreement in your application.
We only sign Erasmus+ documents after you have received your Letter of Admission. You need to use an Online Learning Agreement. Here are more information on how to fill in your documents.
SiS housing opens for applications from the 1st of October 2021. Deadline 1st of November 2021.
- In order to apply for student housing, you must use a code. This code will be provided to you in your confirmation e-mail (titled "Application is changed") after you have applied.
- Do not apply for housing without this code. Your application may be deleted if you do not enter the code when applying. We recommend that you apply as soon as you receive your code.
- Due to the precarious housing situation in the Stavanger area we cannot guarantee housing.
- There are no family apartments available for international students with children. It is not allowed to live with children in single room apartments.
- Housing contracts start on 1 August (autumn semester) and 1 January (spring semester). You cannot move in before that date. Contracts usually cover one or two full semesters, and full semesters only (five months).
- International students cannot change their room with another person in the dorms, nor change dorms without the approval of SiS Housing.
- It is not possible to terminate the contract with SiS Housing during the first 5 months of the contract.
Apply via SiS Housing as soon as you get the housing code (NB! Do not use Internet Explorer! Use Firefox, Chrome or Safari).
**Nursing students coming here on short term on practice placement, will apply in a different way. Information on how to apply will be sent to nursing students by e-mail.
Students that need study permit (visa)
Use the automatic confirmation you receive via email after applying for housing in your study permit application. NB! Hotmail has a problem with receiving an automatic confirmation.
Questions regarding accommodation should be addressed to email@example.com
What happens next?
It is your responsibility to fill in the application correctly.
Please double check that everything is in order as described above before the application deadline:
- Is the correct documents uploaded? (in English or a Scandinavian language)
- Is your home address is correct (Remember both postal code and city name)
- Is your name correct?
- Have you picked the correct courses and enough ECTS?
Applications will not be processed until all required documents are received. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
When the International Office has assessed your application you will be sent, by e-mail, a Letter of Admission. This may take anywhere from 1 day to 2 months depending on when you applied and which courses you applied to. It is important that you check your e-mail often, and your "spam" inbox if you have received the Letter of Admission as there is a deadline in this letter on accepting or declining the offer.
Accommodation: Please note that it is not possible to apply for accommodation before you have been nominated and applied.
Students from non-EU/EEA: We recommend that students from non-EU/EEA countries applies as soon as possible due to the visa application procedures after being nominated by their home institution.
- Submit the required documentations as stated below - Apply for courses (or placement) that amounts to minimum 20 ECTS* and a maximum of 40 ECTS per semester - Fulfill the recommended/required prerequisite knowledge (if any) necessary to take the courses (or placement) *Practice placement students may take less than 20 ECTS The courses that have limited places at the Faculty of Science and Technology will be given to the students who first submits an application, applies for these courses and meet the pre-requisites knowledge requirements (if any).
In order to ultimate your academic success at our institution, it is required that all exchange students have a minimum B2-level of English. This level is self-assessed, and you do not need to provide any documentation or submit an English test score. For further reference and description of European language levels please check the self-assessment grid. NOTE! Students applying to English linguistics and English language and literature courses needs to provide documentation of their English level as described for each course.