The library can help you get scientific literature. We provide access to books as well as many electronic resources.
Search and find
In Oria you can find books, journals, articles, and dissertations. Log in to reserve books that are not available in the library, or to request materials we do not have access to. Go to Oria.
In Oria you can search for author or the title of what you are looking for. But how do you search to find information about a specific subject?
Check out our guide to Oria to efficiently search and find what you are looking for in Oria. Many of the tips and searching techniques can be used in other databases.
Students at UiS can find their required reading in Canvas. You can also search for it in Leganto. Go to pensumliste-search.
You can find an overview of the databases we have access to in Oria. The overview is sorted by alphabet and by subject. Go to databases in Oria.
You get access to all e-books from our collection via Oria.
The university library e-book vendors:
- Ebook Central: App. 200 000 e-books from various publishers. Create a private account to download e-books.
- EBSCO: New e-book supplier where you will find e-books from various publishers. Create a private account to download e-books.
- SpringerLink Books: App. 14 000 e-books
- VLeBooks: App. 1400 e-books
- Directory of Open Access books: More than 4300 peer-reviewed academic books for free.
- Google Books: Millions of books are registered here. Books with no copyright are accessilbe in full text. In books that are still under copyright you may see excerpts.
- The Internet Classics Archive: Works of classical literature, mainly Greco-Roman, all in English translation.
- Open Access Theses and Dissertations: Almost five million graduate theses and dissertations from all over the world, freely available.
- Project Gutenberg: Electronic versions of out-of-copyright books (classic novels, plays and literature).
- Prosjekt Runeberg: Free electronic editions of classic Nordic (Scandinavian) literature.
With Browzine you can easily get an overview of the journals you need, and create your own, virtual bookshelf with the journals you want to read and keep track of.
You can find printed newspapers in the library, mostly in Norwegian.
Retriever (Atekst): Articles in full text from Norwegian newspapers and magazines.
In Brage UiS you can find scientific articles published at UiS. You can also find master thesis’s from UiS. Thesis’s older than 2009 is available in printed form in the library. Go to UiS Brage.
If you are looking for dissertations and published research from other institutions, you can check out this overview of open research archives in Brage. Here you can find dissertations and research published at NTNU, The University of Agder, SINTEF and more.
You can borrow print copies of standards from the library, please check availability in Oria.
Students and staff at UiS also have digital access to standards from Standards Norway.
How to get access:
- Not on campus? Remember to log in using Remote access
- Open this link in your browser: Standards from Standards Norway
- Search for standard title or number in search box
- Select the correct standard in the results list, and click "View standard"
- If an error message appears, please go to your local Downloads folder, and open the file from this folder. All standards must be opened in Adobe Acrobat Reader
You will now have access to reading the standard on screen, but printing is not allowed. The file will become inaccessible after a few days, so you may need to download the file multiple times.
Contact us at email@example.com for help with finding the standards you need.
Discount on standards:
If you want to buy a certain Norwegian standard, students and staff at UiS can get 70% discount from Norsk Standard. Read more here.
Standard Norge, Norsk Elektroteknisk Komite and Standard Online AS also offer student subscriptions on reading access to the online editions of EN, IEC, ISO and IEC standards. This constitutes more than 50 000 valid standards. An annual student subscription costs 500 NOK (+ VAT).
DNV: Get access to DNV Rules and Standards+ by registering a user account at veracity.com.
IEEE: Standards from IEEE are available through IEEE Explore (on campus or using remote access).
More on standards:
Standardization in Norway: Information about the standardization on a national, European and international level. Catalogue of Norwegian standards and links to other standardization organizations.
Global IHS: Catalogue of standards from several international organizations, among others API, ASME and ASTM
- Ordnett.no: Access to numerous dictionaries. Medical, financial and technical dictionaries; dictionary of foreign words or synonyms (Norwegian) ; bilingual dictionaries (Norwegian – English ; German ; French ; Spanish).
Norwegian and Scandinavian dictionaries
- Bokmål / Nynorsk Dictionaries: The Section for Norwegian Lexicography and Dialectology in the Department for Scandinavian Languages and Comparative Literature (UiO) has collaborated with the Norwegian Universities' Documentation Project to offer a simplified electronic version of the most recent edition of the Bokmål Dictionary and the Nynorsk Dictionary.
- Tvärslå: Free Nordic web dictionary. Developed by the Nordic collaboration project "Nordisk nätordbok" (Nordic Webdictionary). (To/from the Nordic languages plus English).
- Dictionary of Old English Web Corpus: "Defines the vocabulary of the first centuries (600-1150 A.D.) of the English language, using today's most advanced technology"
- Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary: Based on the print version of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate® Dictionary, Eleventh Edition.
- Oxford English Dictionary: Contains the meaning and origin of over 500 000 words from the English language.
- Oxford Learner’s Dictionary: Free dictionary.
- Dictionary of Old English (DOE): Defines the vocabulary of the first six centuries (C.E. 600-1150) of the English language.
General works of reference:
- Britannica Online: Contains Encyclopædia Britannica, Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, the Britannica Book of the Year and Britannica's Internet Guide.
- Europeana: Contains film clips, photographs, paintings, sculptures, maps, manuscripts, books, newspapers, archive materials and archaeological objects, provided by European cultural institutions.
Professional works of reference:
- Encyclopedia of Social Work: Contains hundreds of articles about social work, and biographical articles about important persons in the history of this subject area.
- The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics: Standard reference work within economics.
- Oxford Bibliographies - Education: A pathway to the most accurate and reliable resources for a variety of academic topics. Every article is written and reviewed by academic experts.
- Oxford Reference Online: Books of reference in full text. Explanations of words and terms within all subjects.
Encyclopaedias from SAGE:
Suggest literature or subscriptions that the library should have in our collection, and we will consider buying it.
Master or PhD student or a researcher at UiS? Borrow a librarian for guidance and help with a literature search.
With remote access you can access our electronic resources whether you are on campus or working remotely.