The library can help you get scientific literature. We provide access to books as well as many electronic resources.
Search and find
In Oria you can find books, journals, articles, and dissertations. Log in to reserve books that are not available in the library, or to request materials we do not have access to. Go to Oria.
You can find an overview of the databases we have access to in Oria. The overview is sorted by alphabet and by subject. Go to databases on Oria.
You get access to all e-books from our collection via Oria.
The university library e-book vendors:
- Ebook Central: App. 200 000 e-books from various publishers. Create a private account to download e-books.
- EBSCO: New e-book supplier where you will find e-books from various publishers. Create a private account to download e-books.
- SpringerLink Books: App. 14 000 e-books
- VLeBooks: App. 1400 e-books
- Directory of Open Access books: More than 4300 peer-reviewed academic books for free.
- Google Books: Millions of books are registered here. Books with no copyright are accessilbe in full text. In books that are still under copyright you may see excerpts.
- The Internet Classics Archive: Works of classical literature, mainly Greco-Roman, all in English translation.
- Open Access Theses and Dissertations: Almost five million graduate theses and dissertations from all over the world, freely available.
- Project Gutenberg: Electronic versions of out-of-copyright books (classic novels, plays and literature).
- Prosjekt Runeberg: Free electronic editions of classic Nordic (Scandinavian) literature.
With Browzine you can easily get an overview of the journals you need, and create your own, virtual bookshelf with the journals you want to read and keep track of.
You can find printed newspapers in the library, mostly in Norwegian.
Retriever (Atekst): Articles in full text from Norwegian newspapers and magazines.
Students at UiS can find their required reading in Canvas. You can also search for it in Leganto. Go to pensumliste-search.
In Brage UiS you can find scientific articles published at UiS. You can also find master thesis’s from UiS. Thesis’s older than 2009 is available in printed form in the library. Go to UiS Brage.
If you are looking for dissertations and published research from other institutions, you can check out this overview of open research archives in Brage. Here you can find dissertations and research published at NTNU, The University of Agder, SINTEF and more.
The University library have many printed standards available in the library. We also subscribe to several digital standards from Norsk Standard. Remember to use remote access if you want to access the standards when you are not on campus.
Discount on standards:
If you want to buy a certain Norwegian standard, students and staff at UiS can get 70% discount from Norsk Standard. Read more here.
Standard Norge, Norsk Elektroteknisk Komite and Standard Online AS also offer student subscriptions on reading access to the online editions of EN, IEC, ISO and IEC standards. This constitutes more than 50 000 valid standards. An annual student subscription costs 500 NOK.
Standardization in Norway: Information about the standardization on a national, European and international level. Catalogue of Norwegian standards and links to other standardization organizations.
Global IHS: Catalogue of standards from several international organizations, among others API, ASME and ASTM
NORSOK: Standards for the operations belonging to the Norwegian Petroleum Safety Authority's field of operation.
- Ordnett.no: Access to numerous dictionaries. Medical, financial and technical dictionaries; dictionary of foreign words or synonyms (Norwegian) ; bilingual dictionaries (Norwegian – English ; German ; French ; Spanish).
Norwegian and Scandinavian dictionaries
- Bokmål / Nynorsk Dictionaries: The Section for Norwegian Lexicography and Dialectology in the Department for Scandinavian Languages and Comparative Literature (UiO) has collaborated with the Norwegian Universities' Documentation Project to offer a simplified electronic version of the most recent edition of the Bokmål Dictionary and the Nynorsk Dictionary.
- Tvärslå: Free Nordic web dictionary. Developed by the Nordic collaboration project "Nordisk nätordbok" (Nordic Webdictionary). (To/from the Nordic languages plus English).
- Dictionary of Old English Web Corpus: "Defines the vocabulary of the first centuries (600-1150 A.D.) of the English language, using today's most advanced technology"
- Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary: Based on the print version of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate® Dictionary, Eleventh Edition.
- Oxford English Dictionary: Contains the meaning and origin of over 500 000 words from the English language.
- Oxford Learner’s Dictionary: Free dictionary.
- Dictionary of Old English (DOE): Defines the vocabulary of the first six centuries (C.E. 600-1150) of the English language.
General works of reference:
- Britannica Online: Contains Encyclopædia Britannica, Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, the Britannica Book of the Year and Britannica's Internet Guide.
- Europeana: Contains film clips, photographs, paintings, sculptures, maps, manuscripts, books, newspapers, archive materials and archaeological objects, provided by European cultural institutions.
Professional works of reference:
- Encyclopedia of Social Work: Contains hundreds of articles about social work, and biographical articles about important persons in the history of this subject area.
- The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics: Standard reference work within economics.
- Oxford Bibliographies - Education: A pathway to the most accurate and reliable resources for a variety of academic topics. Every article is written and reviewed by academic experts.
- Oxford Reference Online: Books of reference in full text. Explanations of words and terms within all subjects.
Encyclopaedias from SAGE:
Libguides: resources from your field of study
With remote access you can access our electronic resources whether you are on campus or working remotely.
Contact us if you are unable to find what you are looking for in Oria, and we will check to see if we can request it for you from a different library.
Master or PhD student or a researcher at UiS? Borrow a librarian for guidance and help with a literature search for a larger thesis or research project.
Suggest literature that the library should have in our collection, and we will consider buying it.